Apr 26, 2009

End of an Era



April 18, 2009 marked my final day at Alternative Counseling. It was bittersweet ending to a yearlong job. I spent my last week a little differently than I had imagined. I wanted to do a bunch of things to make sure everyone would be okay without me, I know a bit conceited but I did a lot of minuscule mundane things every day. Instead, I spend a few days out sick with the flu. Let me lay out the week for you (those who even care). Monday, I had the day off so I cleaned the house. Tuesday, I went to work had some great groups (Tuesday groups were my favorite). Wednesday, I woke up sick and spent the day on the couch. Thursday, I woke up (TMI alert) puking out both ends. Friday, I felt a lot better so I went back to work. Saturday, was my last day and I went in for the last time.

Friday, when I finally made it back into work, I was thrown a not-so-surprise going away party. It was fun and I barely did anything all day. The boss brought in a ton of food, including some smoked salmon that he cooked up the night before. I told him to bring in a bunch of fruits and vegetables since junk food made me a bit queasy. I got an awesome bouquet of flowers from the boss, featuring a few of my favorites. I felt as if I really would be missed and I felt a little tug on my heartstrings with the goodbyes I received.

Saturday was an amazing day at work, and probably the most fun I have had in a long time, thanks to my Saturday morning crazy group. We laughed and joked and teased each other all through the group process, which lasted almost the full two hours. I gave a fun speech thanking everyone for helping me make my time as their counselor a great learning experience. I wished them all well and gave them my support through the rest of the counseling process. I never laughed so hard as I did with that group.

I was excited to leave, but sad at the same time. I learned a lot during my time there about life, laws, people in general, how to communicate more effectively, and most importantly I learned a lot about myself. I felt good leaving though, as if I was moving in the right direction. I was scared and nervous, but I know I am doing the right thing and I look forward to what the future holds for me.

No comments: