Mar 24, 2009

Latest Update

Many things have changed in my life over the past few weeks, mostly good. I finally got up the nerve to quit my job. I was extremely unhappy there for many reasons and it was no longer fulfilling or rewarding for me. Being a counselor is a tough job, there are good days and there are bad days. There are many disappointments because you start to care about your clients and when they relapse it is hard to not take fault in it; not to feel like you missed something or didn’t do everything you could. Of course, this is not the case, everyone has a free will and will make their own choices in life and no one can stop them.

I learned a lot about many things, myself included. It is always good to look back at a job and find the good things you learned, and how you grew as a person over the time you were there. Over the years, I have had many jobs ranging from childcare to counseling and everywhere in between. I am usually excited when I get a new job and work hard to learn every aspect of the job, but once I have learned everything I begin to become bored as if the challenge is gone. I have had 16 jobs since in the last 15 years, which breaks down to about a job a year. That is how quick and easy it can be to bore me.

My current job, as a drug and alcohol counselor, has probably taught me the most about myself out of all my jobs. I have had a good run with them and my boss has always been great and giving me the space and opportunity to grow as a person. I will always be grateful for the chance they took on me; a girl with some college courses but no real experience. Looking back, it is amazing to see my own growth. I remember how timid and shy I was when I first started out, a year ago. Now, I am more assertive and am able to take control of a group (anywhere from 2 to 20 people) and have even earned the respect of many. It’s a good feeling, a feeling of accomplishment and pride in myself. It will be sad to leave, but change is good and moving on to the next best thing is also good.

As of the first (or second) week of May, I will be doing what I have always dreamed of doing since I was a little girl, writing. I remember, even as a child, having an amazing imagination. I would make up all kinds of games to play with the neighbors, or stories I would act out alone, putting myself as the main character and creating a whole new world around myself. I have been writing since I was in grade school, most of those stories I don’t have any longer, but I still picture myself sitting in my room writing stories.

I look forward to this new chapter in my life. I am doing a lot of freelance work and making decent money. My hope is that by leaving my full time job, I will be able to take on even more freelance work and have time to finish writing a novel. With 16 jobs in my past, I have many stories and experiences to share and/or turn into entertaining works of fiction. I also hope to devote more time to my blog and keeping everyone, who reads, updated on the latest events in my life.

No comments: