Dec 15, 2008

Epiphany

I know in my last blog I moaned and cried a lot about my job, and yet I'm still here working the same thing. My fault, I need to expand my horizens and get out there more. I have to spend 40 hours a week of my life here, so I might as well be doing something I like right?

So, I had an epiphany while looking on Craigslist for jobs. I don't think I like being a counselor because I'm a results person. I like to be presented with a problem, then come up with solutions, and then solve the problem and move on. With people, things take time and you may never see results or they may take months or years. That isn't good enough for me. I like things a little more instant and I like knowing that my hard work pays off. I don't like the odds in this field, most of these people don't care enough and I feel like I am wasting my time and energy.

So, my problem: I'm a results, problem-solving girl. Counseling=lots of problems and no way that I can be assured I will ever solve them.

Every other area of my life is awesome and I'm actually quite happy these days. I had a small bump where I let the job get the best of me, but I have an awesome support network and a man who loves me, and a rocking family. Things are looking up and I'm going to be happy, but I'm not going to be happy doing something I don't like.

No comments: